Sunday, June 17, 2012

Getting our move on.

location location location
The countdown has begun!  Just 22 days until we begin our trip to California, our new home.  The next few weeks will be filled with packing, planning, and of course all of the regular life obligations still to be completed here in Texas.  At least there is one thing we don't have to worry about for now, and that is finding a place to live.  A few weeks ago we secured a small bungalow located at the very northern tip of Oakland, just below Berkeley.  Ilya is living there now sleeping on a cot, but it will be new to me and our stuff.  The whole process of organizing a move across the country is pretty daunting.  It also seems like a pretty good time to purge ourselves of excess stuff.  I am very excited about getting rid of lots of things I never use.  If I haven't touched it in the past year, it must go!  I'm sure there will be exceptions of course, but for now, that's the rule.  Throwing things away is harder than it sounds.  I liked it when I got it.  What if I want or need it later?  I don't want to rebuy something.  Isn't this the stuff hoarders say?  I have started getting rid of things a little but the real purging process won't begin until Ilya arrives.  He always encourages me to get rid of stuff quite happily (I assume it has to do with the fact that he does most of the heavy lifting).
We are very lucky to have found such a nice place!  The whole rental process was kind of stressful.  It isn't like Texas where there is an abundance of large, well kept, affordable apartments.  You pretty much have to be the first in line with your money and the promise of your first born child in order to secure a place, then you sign in blood and promise not to burn candles.  
The new place is full of quirky little additions to the interior, designed by the owner and landlord, an architect from Berkeley.  I can't decide if white floors are exciting or terrifying.  I am pretty excited about the outdoor space and studio at the new place.  It will be great having a designated work space so close to home, but not IN my home.  Here are some pics of our new digs...I'll post more of the inside once we get our own stuff moved in.  


The front of our new digs
The yard

The living room with stuff that isn't ours

Studio space off the yard.  It doesn't look like much now...

Into the kitchen  
Peek into the bedroom with a strange cabinet   

No comments:

Post a Comment